Historical Tidbits

< Back to all posts
  • Elephants in Carlock

    The Village of Carlock originated in 1887 and 1888 near the newly constructed Lake Erie and Western Railroad.  A favorite pastime of Carlock residents was to walk to the Carlock Station to see the trains stop and watch the passengers load and unload.  In the summer months the big circus trains would stop early in the morning as they traveled between Bloomington and Peoria.  On one occasion the train riders were delayed for a lengthy time, requiring the elephants to be taken from the train to graze along the right-of-way in the center of Carlock.